Dry Brushing 101
I love dry brushing for a few different reasons:
- Stimulates your Lymphatic system. Which is responsible for eliminating cellular waste
- Exfoliates ( who doesn't need that) resulting in smoother & brighter skin
- It is super invigorating! Like coffee for your body
- Meditative- gives me 5 min before showering to check in and see how I am feeling. I do all my best thinking in the shower so, this is a great prelude :)
I dry brush before I shower, and then apply body oil. Some people prefer to dry brush after bathing. I suggest trying both and seeing what you/your skin like more.
There are some things that are not negotiable when it comes to dry brushing:
- Start at your feet, brushing upwards twards your heart in short strong strokes. Brush your legs, buttocks, arms torso & back all the while brushing tward your heart.
- Apply enough pressure to stimulate circulation
- Buy a natural bristle Dry Brush
- Wash & air dry your brush once a month
- Take 3-5 min to Dry Brush your entire body
- Brush daily if you can, you will see the most results this way. Starting out, every other day is great until you adjust.
- Brush over broken or irritated skin of any kind
- Dry Brush your face
- Apply so much pressure it hurts
- Dry Brush if you have sensitive/flare up skin
And there you have it! Dry brushing gets all the credit for keeping my skin smooth and I swear I haven't been sick since I have been doing it daily! Not sure if the two are connected but I feel great and that counts for something :)
Are there any Do's & Don'ts I missed!? Share in the comments below!